Ofcourse you didn’t want to do it again. But you did. So now you are all guilty and irrevocably discouraged. This is the biggest symptom that you are definitely feeling responsible for a certain act. This is also the first step towards doing what is noble. And so at AnyLinuxWork , instead of creating pressure or negative motivation towards Using Electricity Smartly, we believe in positively encouraging people for the same.
So what’s your excuse of not being able to use electricity smartly? The thought is definitely inspired by the US Department of Energy initiative. They have come up with a campaign in which they are asking the children to enlist excuses for not being able to save energy. Some of these excuses we too have offered at some point of time or the other.
The top four excuses as per the list were:
1) That’s not my charger: Someone in your office made you realize that you have taken the hook off the charger but the switch is still on. And this is how you respond.
2) I can’t find the remote: Mum scolds you for forgetting to switch off the TV before leaving the room. And pop comes your lamest excuse.
3) I meant to leave that on: Why haven’t you switched off the fan in your room when you are not around it? So that’s how you choose to reply to the query.
4) Unplugging stuff is hard: The wife shouts on top of her voice- Why can’t you just unplug things? That’s coz it is hard to do.
Thus, IO came up with an idea of asking employees what’s their usual excuse for not doing what they ought to do towards the objective of using electricity smartly. The drive is if we can count our blessings one by one, we must also count things-that-we-didn’t-do so as to correct them in future.
This was what they scribbled as their excuses:
1) I thought you will do it: This is a classical situation between two colleagues one of whom didn’t shut down the PC before leaving. Passing the buck, as we had discussed under this column earlier, comes so naturally to humans.
2) I was just about to switch off: Admission of mistakes comes a lot harder than the excuse for it. This is one such instance.
3) I wasn’t supposed to: This comes by those who just do everything by the book. Hence they need specific instructions even for the most common sensical things.
4) I got unlucky only today: This is when a senior catches you wasting energy unnecessarily and you try to persuade him that you usually are very careful but only today was an exception.
Today under this blog space, we intend to make everyone realize that we can fool the whole world by excuses but not ourselves. We might be digging our own graves by not valuing electricity as much. Efforts are not enough. We need a commitment towards using electricity wisely. No excuse on earth can ever compare with this sense of responsibility. So even if you failed last time, don’t feel bad. You can still make a difference. Never ever give up on Using Electricity Wisely.
Do feel free to share your ‘power smart’ ideas with us.